Child Safety Advice from Sovereign Blinds
One of our main safety aims is to help parents and carers child-proof their window dressings since in the wrong circumstances, loose blind cords can pose risks to child safety. As a manufacturer, supplier and fitter of window dressings, we have a responsibility to the public, ensuring all of our products, including blinds, are child safe and that all visitors to our website – customers and browsers alike – are aware of the child safety measures open to them. Children are curious by nature and it is important to bear this in mind when installing any new blinds.
Guide for making your blinds child safe
The British Blind and Shutter Association‘s (BBSA) Make it Safe campaign, which offers crucial safety advice for homeowners, landlords and those responsible for public buildings. We are proud members of the BBSA and are committed to sharing their information with our customers. Here’s what you need to know about making your blinds child safe…
How to make your blinds child safe
1. Keep blind cords, chains and tapes out of reach of children by using the correct child safety device.
2. Make sure your child cannot access the window blind by climbing onto furniture. This includes cots, sofas, chairs, tables, shelves and bookcases, which should never be located beneath or near to a window blind.
3. Ensure that all cords, chains and tapes are properly secured to the wall and remain tight.
4. Ensure all cords, chains and tapes are well out of reach, at least 1.5 metres above ground.
5. Do not tie cords together.
6. When purchasing new blinds, consider cordless or motorised blinds.
Different child safety devices for blinds
– Chain-break connector: Simply attach the connector to the chain. A minimum pressure of 3kg will open and release the connector. This device is best for vertical blinds and roller blinds.
– Cord cleat: This provides two hooks that the cord wraps around. Position high up on the wall so children cannot access. Cord cleats are designed specifically for wooden and Roman blinds.
– Cord and chain tidy: This device includes a front plate and back plate that is attached to the wall. Chains and cords slot through the plates and fasten. This device works well for vertical, roller and Roman blinds.
– Tie down clips: This mechanism is fastened to the wall with the chain or cord loop fastened securely onto the clip. Choose this device for roller, vertical and Roman blinds.